Pages

Sunday 11 January 2015

Photo of the Month: December 2014

GLOAMING LIGHT, BEN A'AN - Shortlisted - OPOTY 2015
Gloaming light, Ben A'an


23rd December 2014, Ben A'an, The Trossachs

This was my fourth visit of the year to the summit of Ben A'an, this time a few days after the winter solstice.  I was motivated by my article on Ben A'an which has just been published in Outdoor Photography magazine - Issue 187.  I arrived to find both the Ben A'an car park and footpath closed due to forest operations on the lower slopes of Ben A'an.  Fortunately, work has ceased until Monday 5th January 2015 so restrictions have been eased until this date and both the car park and footpath have been re-opened for the holiday period. It took 45-mins to reach the top where, once again, I had the summit all to myself.  As on my last visit the sky was relatively clear, with the sun now setting in the south-west.  I used the summit rocks to fill the foreground.  The best light was the gloaming light, which lingered for 40 minutes after sunset.  The resultant image, whilst dark and moody still shows some of the lingering light.  I descended by torchlight.


Technical Info:

Taken with a Canon EOS 5D mkII
Zeiss Distagon T* 21/2.8 ZE lens
EXIF: ISO-100 / 4 sec / f/11
Lee filters: 0.6 Hard GND
RAW File converted to TIFF in Canon DPP, developed in Adobe PSE9

Outdoor Photography Magazine - Low Light Landscapes Challenge / runners-up - Issue 192 / June 2015

Shortlisted image - 'Light on the Land' category - Outdoor Photographer of the Year 2015

Website  /  Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment